Hello friends. For all of those out there experiencing true summer heat, fall should be here in about 65 days. Yes, that does seem so far away when the average temperature is around 105 or higher! Global warming has become front and center for many this year.
Intense-red hot-ever present
Refining ministry just completed the series entitled “Major Wisdom through Minor Prophets” this past Monday night. We have been on a journey studying each minor prophet for quite some time and would like to thank every person who joined us throughout this timeframe. The depth of understanding, sharing, and growth has been outstanding on many levels. (And to think we only meet online for one hour each Monday night!)
Our last study was over the book of Zechariah. The Read Scripture overview describes it as a roller coaster ride. It is filled with visions, prophecy, harsh judgment, and direct commands to name a few. Yet, Zechariah is intense-red hot-ever present in all that he delivers. He is known as the most apocalyptic and messianic of all minor prophets.
For me, Zechariah was a book which had to be digested one bite at a time. Symbolism, terminology, customs, prophetic aspects of the second coming of Christ, interpretations of visions, rituals, and the list goes on. There were times when even the commentaries and study resources were overwhelming. However, I am so thankful for Zechariah on many levels. It made me reflect on my life with the main question:
Are you intense-red hot-ever present for the LORD?
Zechariah presented his audience with hope, encouragement, warning, instructions, and the glimpse of a future King. Over the past seven weeks, I went chapter by chapter looking for direct instructions of how I could increase my spiritual walk and intensify my relationship with God. Zechariah allowed me to reevaluate my spiritual priorities and take a closer look at my daily habits.
Today, I would like to share the list with you. As you read over each item, let it wash over you and encourage you in your personal walk. Allow the Holy Spirit to highlight a couple of areas where you can crank up the heat for the LORD then take it to God in prayer. Enjoy!
- Exercise the listening muscle
- Be still to hear God’s voice
- Watch out for worldliness (externally & internally)
- Learn from your mistakes
- Return to God quickly when you stray
- Embrace the fire (life trials)
- Rely on the Holy Spirit
- Stay in God’s Word
- Encourage others to invest in Scripture
- Recognize sinning religion (a state of spiritual disobedience)
- Only God is holy to judge
- Have diligent obedience
- Worship is more important than performing a religious ritual
- Have a sincere desire to know God
- Fully surrender your heart to the LORD
- Carry out His commands with a joyful spirit
- Speak truth
- Live peacefully
- Exercise justice
- Love God’s ways
- Seek only the approval of the LORD
- Do not be afraid because God is your defender
- Deal with sin barriers
- Stay under the LORD’s authority
- Intentional spend time with the father
- Find your identity in God
- Connect with like-minded Christians
- Carry out God’s work at all costs
- Stay dependent upon the LORD
Thank you, Zechariah! I loved the summer message:
God is intense-red hot-ever present for each of us!